Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sport Restaurant & Bar

What a fun day!  We took the kids into Seattle again, this time to see their favorite rock band play a concert with the Teatro Zinzani circus, pared right down to their size with a storyline that didn't involve any drag queens or inappropriate inuendo.  And we spent the whole time excitedly planning our lunch at The Rock.  Who knew there was a Rock RIGHT next to Seattle Center???   Not us!  Well, ummm... there's not.  Yet.  There will be in 8 days.

So we walked across the street to McMennemins.  Where every single family from that circus/rock concert with their children were already eating.  And we waited until we realized exactly how ridiculous that wait would be.  With ravenously hungry children... I mean it had been what, 20 min. since their popcorn and cotton candy?  It's like we never feed them.

Reuben
So we trekked across Seattle Center to return to Sport Bar and Grill.  The Guys were ridiculously happy because they got to eat their food next to Phineas and Ferb.  I, not being the biggest fan of bar and grill food out there, was okay.  But then I saw their soup of the day and was SO happy.  Apple parsnip soup.  After looking over the menu I saw that I had an option to have that with half a reuben, which is a sandwich I love and hardly ever eat.  The reuben was fine... nothing earth shattering to write home about.  It had more of a pickle taste and less of a briny sauerkraut taste than some.  I think they make their own "sauce" which didn't really taste like Russian dressing or thousand island.  But like I said... it was fine, not great... just fine.  The soup was really good... different than I expected. 

Apple parsnip soup
I took one bite and immediately started planning how I could make it.  I have made more soups in the past two months than the past 20 years combined.  And after realizing exactly how easy a hand blender is to operate, it quickly occurred to me that I can get a smoother consistency to this soup than Sport had.  So, guess who just ordered parsnips and apples in the CSA box for next Tuesday?  Stay tuned for the recipe to come, if its any good.  I'm guessing it will involve roasting the parsnips and apples, adding to warm chicken stock, and then adding a splash of apple cider vinegar before finishing with some half and half.  Like I said, I will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment