Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ox Tail Stew

I made this:

Based on this

Okay, so there isn't a lot of similarity in the flavor profile, but ever since eating ox tail for the first time at the Salish Lodge, I have been inspired by the server who assured me anyone can cook it as long as you use a slow cooker.  Well, thanks to The Critic's Christmas gift to me of an electric pressure cooker, it's been on the list of must-dos.  And yesterday it was finally did!  I will say, it ended up super delicious, though I wish it had been more concentrated.  Let me tell you a little goes a LONG way.  Not only is that a ridiculously rich stew with a broth that is Guiness based, but it is served on a bed of my all-time favorite creamy polenta recipe.  As those chef-y people like to say, "The creaminess of the polenta balances out the richness of the ox tail".  And it does.  It was well worth the two days that it took to prepare it and it has a LOT of leftovers.  The best part?  It is one of those joyful dishes that is even better the next day.  Mmmm!  Deliciousness at its best. For those interested, this is essentially the recipe (though I did not have parsley in mine... now I wonder if I omitted it on accident?).  Since I refrigerated it overnight, I did not remove the oxtails from the pressure cooker while the vegetables cooked.  Once that was done, I did pull out each one and removed as much fat as I could and all the bones (except the one The Critic got... sorry Honey!).  So now you, too, can make this awesomeness in your own home.

And just to say it one more time, I *made* that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment