Thursday, December 29, 2011

Apple Parsnip Soup -- I did it!

I did it!  Based on the soup I ate here, I came up with an original recipe for Apple Parsnip Soup and it is really really delicious!

First step was to peel and chop 4 parsnips and one apple into about one or two inch chunks.  I brushed 1 T melted butter on them and sprinkled with sea salt and white pepper.  Then I roasted them in a 425 degree oven for 30 min.  They looked delicious at that point and it was a bit of a challenge not to eat them all off the jelly roll pan.

Next up, I heated 3 cups chicken stock in a pan.  I added the roasted parsnips and apple to that.That's also the first time I thought to take a picture of the process.  Oops.


Then, using my immersion blender on the lowest speed, I mixed until all the ingredients until they were as smooth as I could get them without turning the soup into thick glop.  I also added 2 T apple cider vinegar at this point, to brighten the taste.

 

Finally, I mixed in 1/4 cup half and half just to get it warm and seasoned with salt.  If I had only done 1 T of apple cider vinegar I might have been able to eliminate this completely, but I like a tiny amount of cream in my soups, so I was happy with it.  Then I diced a bit of apple on the top.  At first that was just to show off a bit since presentation is really not my forte.  But when I ate it, it was delicious with the bright crunchy contrast, so this is a must for next time and can't be missed!


That's it!  Took just about 45 min. and it is totally delicious.  Excuse me... need to eat another cup of soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment